kc banner.png

For Guests Who Have Sensory Processing Needs:

The Burlington Public Library has partnered with KultureCity to improve our ability to assist and accomodate guests with sensory needs. Our objective is to provide an inclusive and seamless experience for all guests for all events including those with sensory needs. We strive to raise awareness of the needs and challenges faced by individuals with sensory processing disorders by supplying our library staff with continuous training and by offering the resources and accomodations below to our guests. 


Sensory Bags

Sensory bags containing special KCVIP badges, fidget tools, noise canceling headphones and other resources are available for in-house use at our Customer Service Desk and the Help Desk. 


Weighted Lap Pads

Weighted lap pads are also available upon request at our Customer Service Desk. 


Social Story and KultureCity All-Inclusive App

Download the KultureCity All-Inclusive App below to get your social story to help you further with your visit to the Burlington Public Library.

iPhone - App Store

Android - Google Play


Frequently Asked Questions


What is the sensory inclusion initiative?

The sensory inclusion initiative is designed to help arenas, zoos, aquariums, museums, restaurants, and other places of public attraction better serve their guests that might have sensory needs/sensory processing issues.


What is a sensory need/sensory processing issue?

A sensory need/sensory processing issue is when a guest finds noises, smells, lights and even crowds not only overwhelming from the sensory perspective, but also sometimes physically painful. Because of this, these guests often find themselves isolated from the community. 


What is the difference between sensory inclusion and sensory friendly?

Sensory friendly is where the location has had all the potentially noxious stimuli removed. Because this is sometimes a difficult task, accessibility is therefore limited to the day and location of the sensory friendly event. Sensory inclusion creates daily accessibility with training, tools and other modifications that, although they do not remove the noxious stimuli, help the guest cope with this potential sensory over-stimulation better - thus ensuring an accepting and inclusive experience for all. 


What are some groups that are affected by sensory need/sensory processing issues?

These could be guests with PTSD, autism, early onset dementia, anxiety, and stroke patients, just to name a few. 


How does partnering with KultureCity help?

KultureCity helps by providing the necessary training to better serve guests with these needs. They also provide signage, weighted lap pads, and sensory bags that contain noise cancelling headphones, fidget tools, and much more, in order to truly create a welcoming experience for these guests.


What is the end reult of the initiative?

It helps all guests feel welcome and included in our locations. It also helps us reach a huge portion of our community that has long been isolated. 


How many people have a disability in the USA?

1 in 5. 16% have visible disabilities, and the remaining 84% have invisible disabilities like PTSD, autism, dementia, strokes, etc. The common denominator for these groups are sensory issues.